Hey BitterSweet Babes! With Coachella quickly approaching, we want to make sure you’re ahead of all the trends to come this festival season! Coachella is essentially the kickoff to summer and the beginning of festival trends for each year, so you could say it’s *also* a very important fashion event! We know that Instagram and social media is as influential as ever and we want to make sure you’re confident for all the pictures you’ll be taking! Everyone who’s anyone (including tons of celebs) will be breaking out their best Coachella outfits, but don’t worry babes, we got you!
What is Coachella? Coachella is an annual music and arts festival, held over the course of two weekends in Indio, California in the Colorado Desert. It began in 1999 and has easily become one of the most prolific music festivals in the United States. Coachella quickly began to grow a following for trendsetting in both fashion and music! Genres held at this festival include rock, pop, indie, hip hop, and electronic dance music!
What is Coachella fashion? Forget everything you think you know about festival fashion. Coachella isn’t the typical festival with neon bodysuits and body paint. Coachella has really made a name for itself in the fashion community and it’s easy to see why.
Coachella fashion is boundary pushing, fresh, and street style inspired, with a hint of boho flare. It’s grungy, vibey, and urban edgy. It’s 1970’s inspired, midwestern, and free spirited. The one thing that is certain, regardless of your personal style, is accessories and more importantly sunglasses and hats are an absolute MUST. Turn any outfit up a notch with a killer pair of sunnies or a trendy hat!
What is Coachella style? As the wise Oscar de la Renta once said, “Fashion is a trend. Style lives within a person.” Coachella style is really just your interpretation of Coachella fashion and finding where you identify yourself within it! If you lean more toward a cool girl vibe, go for the ‘90s grungy chic look! If you consider yourself more of a free spirit, embrace the ‘70s inspired looks in all of their flower child and fringe glory! Coachella style is really your own personal style, just elevated!
Okay, now that we’ve answered those questions, I think it’s time we dive in to some of the past Coachella looks and trends! We’ve found some of our favorites from 2018 that we think can inspire your own personal look this year! These are our favorite Coachella fashion trends from 2018…
2018 Coachella trends were short shorts, boots, fringe, baby sunnies, neon accessories, white dresses, western inspired jewelry, denim, bra tops, hats, and anything and everything with a little cowgirl flare! Now that you’ve seen our Coachella style guide from 2018, it’s time to build your Coachella wardrobe for 2019! As far as grabbing your pieces, we think you should start sooner than later! Before you know it, festival season will be in full swing and your fav trends may be hard to find! We think we may be able to predict what’s to come for Coachella 2019. Whether you’re attending Coachella, another music festival, or just looking to draw fashion inspo from Coachella inspired outfits, we’ve got you covered with the list below!
- Flared bottoms. And we’re not talking a little flare, we’re talking statement bottoms. Denim, flowers, animal print, everything. The ‘70s were huge this year and we know the high rise bell bottoms will be making an appearance!
- Bandana top. Oooh we love a good trend revival! The bandana top, all the way from the early ‘00s! This versatile top is perfect for the poolside parties we know you’ll be attending (which let’s be real, is like half of the fun of going to Coachella)!
- Sheer shift dress. This one’s a festival classic! Throw on a sheer dress with star detail over a bathing suit or bra set and you’re good to go! It’s comfy, practical, and sexy!
- Matching sets. Another classic! Whether it’s a bra top and matching bottoms or a skirt or shorts set, this look is sure to be popular yet again!
- Bike shorts. Yes. We love this trend! Bike shorts have been making a come back for quite some time but have really been picking up traction lately! They are so streetwear cool and comfy!
- Cargo pants. Another trend from 2018 we can get behind for 2019! These are comfy, super cool, and flattering! We are loving mixing menswear into our wardrobes and can’t get enough of this look paired with platforms or boots!
- Hats. Incase you couldn’t tell, here at BitterSweet, we are hat obsessed! Whether it’s a fedora or a fiddler cap, this trend that began in 2017 is sure to be around this year as well!
- Boots. We love a good Doc Marten moment! It’s best to wear closed-toed shoes to festivals to keep your feet clean and stay comfy! Doc Marten’s have been in style pretty much since they made their debut in 1947 and for good reason! They’re stylish, comfortable, durable, badass, and go with pants or shorts!
- Sunnies. 2018 was the year of tiny sunglasses and we expect that trend to carry over to this festival season! Sunnies have become such a good accessory to express yourself through! We love the different shapes and sizes we’ve been seeing lately!
- Leather. 2018 was the year of leather fringe and a few daring individuals that stepped out in chaps! We were obsessed then and we’re obsessed now! We love the tough girl vibe, especially paired with a fedora!
Remember, as much as festivals are about fashion, they’re also about having a good time, dancing, feeling, and letting go! Don’t get too caught up in how perfect everything appears, it will all fall into place! As long as you’re being yourself and having fun, it will radiate through whatever you decide to wear!
The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are.